Friday, June 8, 2007

More Like A Flashlight...

You know that feeling when you find a new musician while browsing through iTunes or Amazon or Pandora or the radio or a friend's car or whatever? Well I was lucky enough to stumble upon a new artist yesterday, and since I'm pressed for time I will share this tidbit with you.

The guy's name is Xavier Rudd. He hails from Australia and spends a lot of his free time surfing. He plays a plethora of instruments, usually at the same time, during his performances, and has become quite popular on the festival scene. From what I've heard so far (which hasn't been much) his songs are soft spoken but upbeat and they use a lot of instruments that don't overpower. At times he sounds like Cat Stevens, at others he sounds like Paul Simon, and I've even heard a bit of Ben Harper in his voice. Rudd's voice (and style) is distinct though, and his songs are great for any time you simply want to be at peace or relax. Give him a listen.

No comments: